Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is open source software licensed under GPL, version 2 or later.
- Recording from any real, or virtual audio device that is available to the host system.
- Export / Import a wide range of audio formats, extendible with FFmpeg.
- High quality using 32-bit float audio processing.
- Plug-ins Support for multiple audio plug-in formats, including VST, LV2, AU.
- Macros for chaining commands and batch processing.
- Scripting in Python, Perl, or any language that supports named pipes.
- Nyquist Very powerful built-in scripting language that may also be used to create plug-ins.
- Editing multi-track editing with sample accuracy and arbitrary sample rates.
- Accessibility for VI users.
- Analysis and visualization tools to analyze audio, or other signal data.
For end users, the latest Windows and macOS release version of Audacity is available from the Audacity website.
Help with using Audacity is available from the Audacity Forum.
Build instructions are available here.
More information for developers is available from the Audacity Wiki.